Adding social media profiles to your Shopify store can increase your outreach to more customers and make it easy for potential buyers to check out your social channels.
The process of integrating social media with your Shopify store used to be a rather complicated process where you needed to add 32×32 pixel images and then link to your channels.
But in 2021 you can add Facebook, Instagram or any other social media link to your Shopify store within minutes.
How? Keep reading to find out.
How to Add Social Media to Shopify
Shopify stores now come with a built-in navigation window where you can add your social media links.
The social media platforms already available for Shopify store owners in the themes window include but are not limited to Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, Snapchat and Tumblr.
Although you can write customized code and add more social media extensions if you like. But that is a task for a tech-savvy developer and not for just anyone. So if you don’t know much about coding then it is better that you stick with the above mentioned social media icons, or hire professionals to modify your Shopify store.
Okay, now onto the main section that you came here to read. Here are the steps you need to follow to add social media icons to your Shopify footer:
- Log into your Shopify store.
- Scroll down your navigation window at the left of your screen and click on the online store, which will be at the bottom of this sidebar.
- Now your screen will show the various themes you have in your Shopify store. Next, select the theme you are currently using and click on customize which will be a blue clickable button on the right of your screen.
- Once again, you will see a navigation window on the left. This one will be divided into two columns. Go ahead and click on Theme Settings.
- Next, you should see various options such as colors, typography, search, social media etc. You can change most theme-related settings from here, but for now, you only need to click on social media.
- Scroll down the new sidebar that is on your left. Here you should see the Social Accounts heading. This is where you will add your profile links of the various social media platforms.
- Now visit each of your social media profiles that you want to add to Shopify and copy their URL.
- Paste the URL into the specific section in your Shopify sidebar. You can also manually write the URL if you are sure of what it is.
- To confirm that you have added social media icons to the Shopify footer, scroll down on the main screen and you should see the icons at the bottom right.
- Save changes.
If you want to know how to edit the code and customize social media icons in Shopify, you can do that through the online store 🡪 themes 🡪 assets folder 🡪 add a new asset.
Each ‘asset’ here represents a social media icon. Go ahead and choose the asset of your choice and upload the image. Change the name to social-icon.png according to the social media you have such as Facebook or Instagram.
Now you need to insert your code into the footer.liquid file in the theme snippets. Your code should include the link to your social media profile and your social account handle/ profile name.
How to Share Shopify Store Content on Social Media?
The posts you publish on your online Shopify store can also be shared on your different social media profiles in one click. Yes! It’s that easy.
Follow the same steps 1-6 as mentioned above and you will see Social Sharing Options in your sidebar. Make sure you see a checkmark on all the different ones or unselect the ones you don’t want to publish content on.
The social media links of your profiles that you added above are already linked to your Shopify here. That is where your content will now be shared. After you have confirmed that the sharing options are enabled, go ahead and save changes.
Shopify Social Media Integration
You can integrate various apps and extensions with your Shopify store for better syncing of data between your different platforms. Shopify has made it easy to integrate Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest with your store using social media extensions and Shopify apps in 2021.
Here we will look at how you can integrate social media platforms with Shopify.
As an example, we will only look at Shopify Facebook integration. Since Facebook and Instagram apps are linked you will also be automatically integrating Instagram with Shopify this way.
- Create a Facebook page for your business 🡪 link it to your business manager and Facebook ad accounts 🡪 create a Facebook pixel.
- Log in to your Shopify store home screen and click on the Sales Channels in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down and add the Facebook channel.
- Choose the Facebook Shop option and start setup.
- Now connect each of the profiles you created in step 1 here, double-check the information and click on finish setup.
And voila! Your Facebook is integrated with Shopify. Now you can sell products directly on Facebook, and by extension also on Instagram.
Shopify has made it easy for its users to modify their stores and add extensions such as social media icons and links.
We have added dozens of links in various Shopify stores using these two methods. Although the process is straightforward you could still run into unexpected roadblocks while following our tutorial. Should that happen, reach out to us so we can use our experience of developing Shopify stores to help you out.
We also have experience in a lot of other Shopify development services. Connect with us to learn more or start a project with our proficient developers!